FireFlex Yoga Teacher Training
Dates & Times
April 21, 2018 | 10am – 6 pm
April 22, 2018 | 10am – 4pm
Active Sports Clubs, Oakland City Center
1200 Clay Street
Oakland, CA 94612
Early Bird $395
Discount good through Sunday, April 12, 2018.
Regular Price $595
Why Attend this Training?
- First responders occupy some of the most difficult, demanding and devastating professions in the country, and yoga is offering important tools to help our first responders stay safe, healthy and fit.
- First Responders see more loss, premature death and destruction in one day than most of us will witness in a lifetime. Without proactive interventions like yoga first responders are vulnerable to traumatic stress disorders, compassion fatigue, and maladaptive coping strategies.
- Through yoga first responders are learning how to use their bodies, breath and attention to develop mental and emotional resiliency.
- Through yoga first responders are using postures and meditation practices to reduce the impact and suffering related to injuries and chronic pain.
- Yoga practice is improving the quality of attention first responders are bringing to their work and home lives.
- Yoga practice is helping our first responders to thrive, not just survive.
What will you learn in the Training?
Part One: The Fundamentals of Teaching yoga to First Responders
- You will receive a behind-the-scenes look at the fire responder culture and personality. Having this background and understanding will help you translate the yoga experience for first responders, so that it will be well received.
- You will learn the FireFlex Yoga Methodology, including how to use the Functional Movement Screen and interoceptive assessment to collect and present data that matter most to first responders and their employers.
- You will learn how to apply your background in asana, anatomy and mediation to develop specific and targeted sequences that increase functional fitness and reduce the impact of stress and traumatic events on the bodies and mind our first responders.
- You will learn how to sequence yoga classes to accommodate the most common injuries experienced by fire responders
- Learn the signs and symptoms of traumatic stress and how to approach yoga teaching from a trauma-sensitive perspective.
Part Two: How to lead FireFlex Yoga Classes and Get Paid!
- Learn how to approach your local first responder department(s) and what to say when you meet with the chief.
- Learn how to conduct a meeting with first responder leadership and make a great sales presentation for your classes.
- Understand contracts, liability waivers, insurance and the nuts of bolts of what you need in order to operate as an independent contractor.
- Learn an effective sales step system that you can implement for the cost of a postage stamp. That’s right a stamp!
- Understand FireFlex Yoga’s License Fees and Agreement, and what it takes to become a FireFlex Yoga Affiliate.
FireFlex Yoga is one of just a few organizations in the country that bring the mindfulness practices of yoga and meditation to first responders. However we are the only organization that incorporates the Functional Movement Screen and Interoceptive Assessments. When you attend our training you learn not only how these assessments work, but also how they can transform your teaching. Allowing you to work more intelligently and skillfully with first responders and any demographic.
Will I learn about Trauma Sensitive Yoga?
Behavioral health is receiving more attention in first responder departments than in the past. Department leaders are looking for proactive approaches to support first responders in dealing with chronic and traumatic stress. FireFlex Yoga classes include interoceptive practices.
During the FireFlex Yoga training you will learn about interoception and how to lead classes that increase interoception. Increased interoceptive capabilities are linked to increased physical performance as well as a reduction in traumatic stress.
You will also learn about the differences between stress, short term and chronic as well as traumatic stress. As FireFlex Yoga instructors it will be important to know the difference and how to use specific and targeted practices to balance the nervous and alleviate the impact of chronic and traumatic stress.
Do I need to be a yoga teacher to attend this training?
Anyone is welcome to attend the FireFlex Yoga Training.* And at the same time FireFlex Yoga uses specific and targeted mindfulness practices like yoga postures, pranayama and meditation. At our most recent training several of the teachers who were not yoga teachers, felt inspired to check into a 200-hour certification.
Why do I need to attend your training to teach yoga to first responders?
We have spent four years figuring out what are the issues facing our first responders and their departments and then demonstrating how yoga addresses these issues and more! I come from a fire family, so fire departments, firefighters and fire chiefs are like family to me. If you decide to work with us you will have access to all our data, successes and evidence-based methodology.
What will I learn?
You will receive a behind-the-scenes look at the first responder culture and personality. Having this background and understanding will help you translate yoga practices and philosophies for first responders that are relevant and helpful for this demographic.
You will learn the FireFlex Yoga Methodology, including how to use the Functional Movement Screen and interoceptive assessment to sequence your yoga classes.
You will learn the importance of delivering an evidenced-based-program, one that includes preliminary and post data.
You will learn how to apply your background in asana, anatomy and mediation to develop specific and targeted sequences that increase functional fitness and reduce the impact of stress and traumatic events on the bodies and minds our first responders.
You will learn how to sequence yoga classes to accommodate the most common injuries experienced by first responders.
You will learn the signs and symptoms of traumatic stress and how to approach yoga teaching from a trauma-sensitive perspective.
Is a manual included?
Yes, the FireFlex Yoga Teacher Training comes with a comprehensive manual. The manual covers in depth the issues affecting first responders and their departments and how yoga is an effective solution to these issues. The manual also goes into depth about the thinking, teachings and philosophies that went into the development of the FireFlex Yoga Methodology and class sequences. Plus you get 20 FireFlex Yoga class sequences that you can use with first responders or any demographic that you choose to work with.
How do I get started?
Register for the FireFlex Yoga training to get started.
Will your training help me work with police departments?
The FireFlex Yoga methodology has been used with law enforcement officers, command staff, dispatchers and detectives. Many of our graduates choose to work with law enforcement and are very successful.
Who is this Training for?
- Yoga teachers from all disciplines
- First Responders
- Family members and Supporters of First Responders